Frequently asked question
1.What are the current admission methods for the Institute of Biophysics? What is the enrollment quota?
There are two enrollment methods:
1) Exemption of examinations: including successive postgraduate and doctoral programs and bachelor-straight-to-doctorate programs.
2) Uniform Examination Enrollment quota (the specific quota is subject to the actual indicators issued by the Ministry of Education): about 90 enrollment indicators per year.
2. What are the requirements for applying for the Institute of Biophysics' exam-free quota?
The following conditions should be satisfied:
1) Fresh graduates;
2) In line with the conditions for exemption, you can estimate whether you are eligible for exemption according to your situation.
3) Have obtained the certificate of CET-4 or CET-6 or have passed the examination of CET-4 or CET-6.
4) Not failed in the main course examinations.
Materials required for the application:
1) An application form for a master's degree without examination recommended by the Institute of Biophysics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, signed by the applicant. (Note: The total number of students in the same grade of the applicant's major and the total score of the applicant’s three-year academic grade must be filled out and sealed by the department or the school's educational administration department. You can leave it out if your school is not yet engaged in the exemption). At the same time, you need to send the electronic version to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) The transcripts of the courses taken in the first three years of undergraduate studies issued and sealed by the educational administration department of the school (applicants within a five-year system should offer a transcript of the first four years of their course).
3) A copy of a second-generation resident ID card.
Materials provided voluntarily:
1) Letter of recommendation, signed by experts, for a master's degree without examination in the Chinese Academy of Sciences (recommended by an associate professor or an expert with a professional title - the letter of recommendation must be sealed and signed at the sealing seam).
2) Copies or certificates of academic papers, patents or other original work results published in academic journals or at national academic conferences. 3) A copy of your English level certificate.
4) A copy of your award certificate during college. 5. Other materials with reference value to the application.
3. How many exam-free places are available at the Institute of Biophysics every year?
About 60 a year.
4. What should I do if the school's educational administration department does not stamp the transcript because it is too early?
It can be stamped by the courtyard first, and the transcript - with a seal of the educational administration department - can be submitted later.
5. Start and end dates for registration:
From July to September every year. Please check the website of the Institute of Biophysics for specific dates.
6. How will exam-free students be notified about their interview?
They will be notified by e-mail and telephone. Please make sure that your contact information is accurate.
7. Will board and lodging be arranged and will round-trip expenses be reimbursed when attending interviews?
We can provide lunch on the day of the interview - other expenditure is at your own expense.
8. Do I need to specify my major and supervisor when applying? Must we belong to the supervisor's research group once we apply for the group?
Yes, you need to specify the major and supervisor. However, we implement a rotation system; the majors and supervisors you choose are not necessarily the final supervisors.
9. What is the rotation system?
Enrolled students must participate in the rotation in at least two research groups, and the actual effective time of each rotation should be no less than 14 days. The graduation design can be regarded as a rotation. After the rotation, the student and the supervisor will sign a form to confirm the status of the supervisor.
10. Procedure for re-examination
Interview with a re-examination panel consisting of more than five people. Including:
1) Self-introduction (either Chinese or English), 2-3 minutes;
2) Answer related questions based on your scientific research experience;
3) English translation.
11. What is the proportion of re-examination admissions?
It is generally 1.2-1.5: 1.
12. Does the institute accept candidates from "985" and "211" colleges only?
No, every year we enroll a considerable number of non-985 and 211 college students. Whether admitted or not depends mainly on the candidate's abilities.
13. When is the exam-free interview conducted?
We usually conduct 1-2 interviews at the end of July and 1-2 interviews at the end of September and early October.
14. Is there any relationship between summer camp activities and the exam-free programs?
Our institute holds summer camps and other summer internship activities in early July every year, mainly to provide students with opportunities to understand scientific research and prompt in-depth engagement with scientific research; stimulate their scientific research interests; and encourage students to establish academic development goals as soon as possible. Some students who participated in the activities such as summer camps also applied for graduate study at our institute. We will arrange for interviews for these students during the event.
15. How are students treated after entering the school?
1) Bursary: 1,800 yuan / month for the first year of master students and 2,520 yuan / month for the second year; 3,600 yuan / month for the first year after the mid-term examination transfer to doctoral students, 3,700 yuan / month for the second year, and 3,800 yuan / month for the third year.
2) Scholarships: At present, there are institute scholarships for outstanding students, the National Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, the CAS Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, the CAS Special Award and Excellence Award, Zhu Liyuehua Award, Geo Olympic Award, Procter & Gamble Award, and BHPB scholarship.
16. What are the tuition fees? Will our financial burden increase?
According to national regulations, from the fall semester of 2014, tuition fees will be charged for all newly-admitted graduate students who are included in the national admissions plan. It is 8,000 yuan per master student, and 10,000 yuan for a doctoral student. However, through the improvement of the scholarship system, the actual treatment of students is equal to or higher than the previous treatment of students with unpaid fees.
17. I want to do an internship with the supervisor’s group, what should I do?
Just contact the supervisor directly; students who are interested in scientific research will be warmly welcomed.
18. Which supervisor has a higher enrollment quota? Whose group should I apply for?
Each teacher recruits no more than two Masters students each year. The expert team of our institute conducts a group interview with all candidates who enter the re-examination line at the level of the institute, and finally determines the admission list according to the ranking and the actual enrollment quota.
19. What is the retest line of the Institute of Biophysics?
Each year's retest line will be different. The following table shows the retest line in recent years.
Address: No 15 Datun Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing Graduate Department, IBP
Zip code: 100101