The IBP Logo
1. The design aim of the emblem
The emblem is a symbol of the Institute of Biophysics and should reflect the characteristics of the institute. It reflects the fields of biophysics and molecular biology. The pattern strives for novelty and liveliness, and combines science with art.
2. The pattern structure
The logo is round shaped. The institute's name in both Chinese and English forms the outer part of the logo. The inner patterns from top to bottom are the sun, lens, eye, cell, biological macromolecules, wave, book and leave, respectively.
3. Meaning of the pattern
(1) The sun is the source of life. Sunlight absorbed by eyes and plant leaves are two biophysical processes of IBP's research interests: visual process and photosynthesis.
(2) DNA double helix stands for biological macromolecules. Cells are the basic unit of organisms. Research in molecular and cellular level is an indispensable way to reveal the mystery of life and thus IBP's major endeavor.
(3) Lens and wave, symbols of engineering technology, stand for supporting systems for basic research; also imply that science and technology aims at satisfying the needs of economic development.
(4) Book indicates respect for knowledge. Inheriting and carrying forward predecessors' accumulated knowledge and dedication to the science cause are the virtues of scientists. Meanwhile, book also symbolizes that IBP is mainly targeted at basic research.
(5) The combination of the different symbols reflects the institute's various biophysical research fields.